Why am I afraid to do the things I know I can do, I know I am good at and I thoroughly enjoy?
As the young Susan Stone once said to her grown-up self, describing her fears: "What does he think of me? What does she think of me? What if I fail and everyone says "Susan's a dope?" Adult Susan responds with "I'm not like that" and young Susan tells her "Yes you are. But just remember, playing it safe is very risky business". So there you are, and there I am.
Today I am running an activity for part of the fall family festival at our school. When I stop to think about it for 5 seconds I know that it is just like running a primary activity - which I've done countless times throughout my life. But this is a different setting. When I was asked if I'd like to do this, one sentence from administration gave me the confidence to say yes - "We know you like to do this kind of thing and you're good at it". It's amazing how one positive comment can be so motivating.
So, here we go - it's going to be a great day!
(not mine, but I like this picture)

No comments:
Post a Comment